Insight. 1985, This was 1985. Part 1 and 2
Loading the player...
Insight '85 presents 'This Was 1985', a review of the year's news and events:
- Includes audio of author Keri Hulme being told she has won the Booker Prize, [for 'The Bone People'] via telephone from London.
- Coverage of New Zealand leaving the ANZUS alliance over nuclear ship visits: Ronald Reagan and George Schultz comment, David Lange at the Oxford University debate.
- Coverage of the bombing of the Greenpeace vessel "Rainbow Warrior" in Auckland by French agents - David Lange and Greenpeace spokesman
- International news events: hijackings, Bob Geldof's "Live Aid" fundraiser for Ethiopia, Margaret Thatcher on her husband Dennis.
- Robert Muldoon hangs on to his career despite losing leadership of National Party to Jim McLay
- Protests over the proposed All Black tour of South Africa - actuality of protest march chanting, and David Lange comments. Ann Hercus in Nairobi announcing the tour has been cancelled. Journalist Tony Simon tries unsuccessfully to get comment from Dr Dani Craven.
- Homosexual law reform bill protest marches - chanting and pro- and anti- reform speakers, Fran Wilde on anti-bill petition, Christian speaker on destruction of the family.
- Conferences held during the year
- Music highlights, the deaths of Prince Tui Teka and Ngoi Pewhairangi were mourned.
- Archbishop Sir Paul Reeves is sworn in as Governor-General - actuality of him taking the oath.
- Michael King publishes 'Being Pakeha' and lecturer Keri Kaa comments on the validity of being pakeha
- Moves to make Māori an official language in New Zealand got underway
- Princess Michael of Kent speaks emotionally in London about her father's Nazi past
- British announcer gives live broadcast of Bradford football stadium fire
- Farmers in New Zealand fought drought
- A summary of industrial relations issues in New Zealand
- Jessica Weddell interviews Roger Douglas about her alternative budget
- Ends with a song summarising 1985.
Reference number 204359
Media type AUDIO
Collection Sound Collection
Documentary radio programs
Nonfiction radio programs
Hulme, Keri, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Lange, David, 1942-2005, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Muldoon, R. D. (Robert David), 1921-1992, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Thatcher, Margaret, Speaker/Kaikōrero
McLay, Jim, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Hercus, Ann, 1942-, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Craven, Daniel Hartman, 1910-1993, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Wilde, Fran, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Reeves, Paul, Sir, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Kaa, Keri, 1942-, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Douglas, Roger, 1937-, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Weddell, Jessica, 1926-1997, Speaker/Kaikōrero
Broadcasting Corporation of New Zealand (estab. 1976, closed 1988), Broadcaster
Date 30 Dec 1985