The Listener Magazine
Loading the player...
These two commercials advertising The Listener come from the era when the magazine was still very much aimed at its namesake – New Zealand radio listeners.
The magazine was started in 1939 by the National Broadcasting Service as a way of promoting upcoming radio programmes, a function explained by the first commercial with its "dial-hopping" husband.
The Listener broadened to include television listings from the 1960s, but also covered the arts and current affairs. It had a great influence on New Zealand's cultural life, publishing work by many well-known authors and poets. It was privatised in 1990. Learn more about the history of The Listener.
Image: first cover of The Listener, from 1939 (Ngā Taonga Sound & Vision Sound Collection).
Catalogue Reference 261843
Advertiser: The National Broadcasting Service