Compilation of historical events from the 1960's
Find out more about this item:
Compilation of Historical Events from the 1960's
Description from notes in tape box.
1. At the Olympic Games held in Rome in 1960, Peter Snell and Murray Halberg win gold medals for New Zealand.
2. 1962 and the Cook Strait Ferry Service begins, but Barry Davenport is doing it another way and becomes the first man to swim Cook Strait.
3. 1963 and New Zealander's are stunned to hear that the President of the United States, John F. Kennedy, has been shot while on a visit to Dallas, Texas.
4. In 1964 a young group from Liverpool are making international headlines. New Zealanders hear the Beatles on their visit to Wellington.
5. 1967 - Decimal Currency arrives and New Zealanders say good-bye to pounds shillings and pence.
6. 10 April 1968 and much of New Zealand was wracked by a severe storm, when the Inter-Island Ferry Wahine was wrecked at the entrance to Wellington Harbour with the loss of 51 lives.
7. On the 21st August 1968 Russian (sic) troops move into Czechoslovakia.
8. On may 24th 1968 the township and surrounding area of Inangahua was devastated by an earthquake measuring 7 on the Richter scale. Three people were killed in the earthquake. A resident, Fred Jackson, recalls events.
9. 1968 sees the breakthrough on the diversion tunnel for the Manapouri Power Scheme
10. On 21st July 1969 Neil Armstrong became the first man to step onto the moon. This is how the world heard the news.
Reference number 33768
Media type AUDIO
Collection Sound Collection
Ngā Taonga Korero Collection
Snell, Peter, 1938-
Halberg, Murray, 1933-
Devenport, Barrie, 1935-2010
Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963
Armstrong, Neil, 1930-
Beatles (Musical group)
Kennedy, John F. (John Fitzgerald), 1917-1963 -- Assassination
Cook Strait (N.Z.)/New Zealand
Inangahua (N.Z.)/New Zealand
Manapouri, Lake (N.Z.)/New Zealand
Moon -- Exploration/MOON
Ferries -- New Zealand -- Cook Strait
Hydroelectric power plants
Long distance swimming
Money -- New Zealand
Olympic Games (17th : 1960 : Rome)
Inangahua Earthquake, N.Z., 1968; 24 May 1968