Here are some tips to help you get the best results using our simple search tool.
Do a simple search for collection items by entering your search terms and keywords into the search bar, then click the search icon.
This will produce a broad result, which can then be narrowed down by additional filter options. For example, media type, year range, or place of production.
If you know the reference number or title of the item you’re interested in, enter these into the search bar – for example, F7935 for Goodbye Pork Pie or 16232 for the 18 May 1994 edition of Morning Report.
If your search includes more than one term, you can use the following commands to limit or broaden your search results:
- OR: use 'OR' to broaden your search results to any record with at least one of your search terms. For example, Auckland OR Tāmaki will retrieve all records that feature either the word Auckland or the word Tāmaki.
- NOT: use '-' in front of a term to exclude any records with this term from your search results. For example, Whanganui -River will retrieve results that include the word Whanganui but not the word River.
To search for multiple keywords, simply enter the terms you would like to search for, and your results will include any record that features all of the terms you have entered.
If you know the specific phrase you are looking for, you can search for it by using double quotation marks – for example, "film archive" will search for all instances where those two words are found next to each other.
To create a list of your favourite items:
- Click the ‘Add to My list’ button on the collection item.
- Once you have added all the items you want, select 'My list' at the top of the page.
- Here you can download a CSV file of the items on your list, make a request about individual items or all items on your list.
- For requests, you will be taken to a new page to complete the request form. Our team will get back to you with more information.
You can find information about requesting access to material on the Rights & requesting page.
Please contact us if you have any questions, or an urgent request.