Paakiwaha. 2014-12-08. 10:00-12:00.
Loading the player...
Paakiwaha is a weekly two-hour current affairs programme broadcast on Monday mornings on Radio Waatea. Delivered in English, it covers current issues from a Māori perspective. It has been broadcasting since 2002. Paakiwaha is funded by New Zealand On Air and is provided to various Community/Access stations and other broadcasters. In today’s programme:
1. New Plymouth Mayor Andrew Judd faces his critics tonight, with some powerful voices joining him to debate the pros and cons of a Maori seat on the New Plymouth District Council.
2. Sir Taihakurei Durie: the chair of the New Zealand Maori Council says a new Waitangi Tribunal report confirms Maori have legitimate ways of organising themselves other than just as iwi. The council went to the tribunal to challenge the way the government was rewriting the Maori Community Development Act without involving the council.
3. Rueben Taipari Porteri: an anti mining kaupapa was organised in the north over the weekend. Rueben Taipari was one of the organisers.
4. Hoturoa Kerr: it has been a long journey, but ocean-going waka from Hawaii and other Pacific Islands are now safely on the waters of the Waitemata.The waka were welcomed to Okahu Bay yesterday by Ngati Whatua o Orakei, including Haunui who were returning to their home port.
5. Syd Keepa: Union wants ANZ Bank boycotted.
6. Deidre Brown: a Northland hapu is welcoming the return to the country of a taonga associated with one of the most significant early encounters between Maori and Europeans. It’s a medal gifted to Te Pahi in Sydney in 1806 by Governor Philip King.
7. Chair Te Pou Matakana: Merepeka Raukawa Tait says a willingness to experiment and partner is crucial if whanau ora is to be effective.
8. Creator of Iron Maori Heather Skipworth: another successful event of Iron Maori which has grown to over 3000 participants.
9. Political reporter Corin Dann: a weekly review of politics.
10. Sport with Jenny May Coffin.
Reference number 261170
Media type AUDIO
Collection Sound Collection
Māori radio programs
Ethnic radio programs
Husband, Dale, Presenter
Judd, Andrew (b.1965), Interviewee
Durie, E. T. J. (Edward Taihakurei Junior), 1940-, Interviewee
Porter, Rueben, Interviewee
Kerr, Hoturoa, Interviewee
Keepa, Syd, Interviewee
Brown, Deidre (Deidre Sharon), 1970-, Interviewee
Skipworth, Heather, Interviewee
Raukawa-Tait, Merepeka, Interviewee
Dann, Corin, 1974?-, Commentator
Coffin, Jenny May, Commentator
Waatea 603 AM (Radio station : Mangere, N.Z.), Broadcaster
Date 08 Dec 2014