MĀORI HUI AT TIKITIKI

Loading the player...

Rights Information

The Governor General, Sir Charles Fergusson and his entourage are welcomed onto Te Rāhui Marae, Tikitiki for the consecration of St Mary’s Church (on February 16th, 1926).

The pōwhiri is performed by a large group of Māori elders. A number of visitors stroll around an area where hāngī preparations are taking place. Children perform poi to violin and piano-accordian accompaniment, before large crowd gathered around the marae. A policeman stands amidst spectators.

Dignitaries are seated in a sheltered dais in front of Rongomai Aniwaniwa. Large group of Māori women dressed in long black skirts, blouses with a sash draped over their right shoulder, perform action songs. The haka taparahi ‘Ka panapana’ is performed and the men then move toward the front to do the haka, led by Sir Apirana Ngata. Haka include “Kura Tiwaka” and “Ruaumoko”

Single long poi, haka are performed by other groups. Men wear korowai wrapped round their waists.

A small wooden church (St Mary’s Memorial Church) is clearly visible in background standing at its original site . The church is now situated where the camera is taking the elevated shot, also tents and marquees.

Filmed: Tuesday February 16, 1926. (refs: New Zealand Herald, 17.2.26, p.12; Poverty Bay Herald, 17.2.26, p.7.)

See cataloguer’s notes for further information. LLW 13/09/2017

Favourite item:

Request information

Year 1926

Reference number F6678

Collection Film and Video Collection

Media type Moving Image

Place of Production NEW ZEALAND/AOTEAROA

Genre Actuality

Duration 0:05:15

Production company New Zealand Government Publicity Office

Taonga Māori Collection Yes